The purpose of this post is to announce that the daily rankings for the NFL are now up and running. A few notes on the ranking table:
- LstWk - The team's ranking as of a week ago. There is a corresponding sparkline to show how the team's GPF moved through the course of the prior seven days.
- GPF - Stands for Generic Points Favored. It is what you would expect a team to be favored by against a league average team at a neutral site. This is derived from the point spreads assigned to each matchup, with preferential weight given to more recent games. The corresponding sparkline shows how the team's rank has progressed throughout the season.
- oGPF - Stands for Offensive Generic Points Favored. It's the component of a team's GPF that is attributable to its ability to score points. I can derive this by using the over/under in conjunction with the point spread. Note that the sparklines for both oGPF and dGPF look flat early on because I did not have enough betting over/unders to generate a proper ranking (point spreads are usually released before over/unders).
- dGPF - Stands for Defensive Generic Points Favored. It's the component of a team's GPF that is attributable to its ability to prevent the other team from scoring points.
- W-L - The team's win-loss record. Note that the top 2 teams (NE and GB) are currently at 1-2.
- ANS - The team ranking according to the Advanced NFL Stats Team Efficiency model. In an overcrowded marketplace of NFL power rankings, one of the few that's worth paying attention to.